- Bandleader/pianist George Gruntz born 1932 in Basel, Switzerland.
- Arranger Manny Albam born 1922 in Samana, Dominican Republic.
- Tenor saxophonist Booker Ervin records Back From The Gig, with trumpeter Woody Shaw, 1968.
- Composer Bill Russo born 1928 in Chicago, IL.
- Drummer/pianist Joe Chambers born 1942 in Stoneacre, VA.
- The Bill Evans Trio with bassist Scott LaFaro and drummer Paul Motian record At The Village Vanguard, 1961.
- Thelonious Monk records “Epistrophy” with a band that includes both Coleman Hawkins and John Coltrane, 1957.
- Drummer Joey Baron born 1955 in Richmond, VA.
- Bassist/educator Reggie Workman born 1937 in Philadelphia, PA.
- Benny Carter records his Songbooks, Vol. 1 and 2, 1995.
- Pianist Mal Waldron records The Quest with saxophonists Eric Dolphy and Booker Ervin, 1961.
- Pianist Elmo Hope born 1923 in New York, NY.
- Louis Armstrong records “West End Blues,” 1928.
- Bass saxophonist Adrian Rollini born 1904 in New York, NY.
- Trumpeter Joe Smith born 1902 in Ripley, OH.
- Trombonist Julian Priester born 1935 in Chicago, IL.
- Pianist/arranger Ralph Burns born 1922 in Newton, MA.
- Orchestra U.S.A. records Benny Golson’s “A Portrait of Coleman Hawkins,” 1964.
- The Cannonball Adderley Quintet plays at the Newport Jazz Festival, 1960.
- Pianist/composer Andrew Hill born 1937 in Chicago, IL.
- Duke Ellington records Ellington Uptown, 1952.
Source: Smithsonian Jazz