- Pianist Bill Evans and alto saxophonist Cannonball Adderley record Know What I Mean?, 1961.
- Trumpeter Hot Lips Page born 1908 in Dallas, TX.
- Vibraphonist Bobby Hutcherson born 1941 in Los Angeles, CA.
- Drummer Bob Moses born 1948 in New York, NY.
- JATP records "Lady Be Good," 1946, with classic solos by saxophonists Lester Young and Charlie Parker.
- English saxophonist Ronnie Scott born 1927 in London, England.
- Jabbo Smith records "Jazz Battle" at his first session as a leader, 1929.
- Drummer Ed Shaugnessy born 1929 in Jersey City, NJ.
- Guitarist Sacha Distel born 1933 in Paris, France.
- Bassist and oud player Ahmed Abdul-Malik born 1927 in New York, NY.
- Trumpeter Roy Eldridge born 1911 in Pittsburgh, PA.
- The Original Dixieland Jazz Band makes the first jazz recordings, 1917.
- Trumpeter Bobby Hackett born 1915 in Providence, RI.
- Guitarist George Barnes records Swing Guitar with Hank Jones, Milt Hinton, and Jo Jones, 1973.
- Composer George Russell records "The Stratus Seekers," including trombonist David Baker, 1961.
- Pianist James P. Johnson born 1894 in New Brunswick, NJ.
- Saxophonist Joshua Redman born 1969 in Berkeley, CA.
- Saxophonist Sadao Watanabe born 1933 in Utsunomiya, Japan.
- Tenor saxophonist Stan Getz born 1927 in Philadelphia, PA.
- Saxophonist Sonny Stitt born 1924 in Boston, MA.
- The Modern Jazz Quartet records Lonely Woman, 1962.
Source: Smithsonian Jazz