- Singer John Hendricks born 1921 in Newark, OH.
- Violinist Joe Venuti born 1903 in Philadelphia, PA.
- Guitarist Charlie Byrd born 1925 in Chuckatuck, VA.
- Clarinetist Perry Robinson born 1938 in New York, NY.
- Bandleader Bill McKinney born 1895 in Cynthiana, KY.
- Duke Ellington, bassist Charles Mingus, and drummer Max Roach record Money Jungle, 1962.
- Guitarist Emily Remler born 1957 in New York, NY.
- Alto saxophonist Charlie Parker records Parker’s Mood with pianist John Lewis, 1948.
- Saxophonists Lester Young and Charlie Parker and trumpeter Roy Eldridge record “Embraceable You” at Carnegie Hall, 1949.
- Woody Herman’s band records Ralph Burns’ extended composition “Summer Sequence,” 1946.
- Pianist/composer Muhal Richard Abrams born 1930 in Chicago, IL.
- Pianist Erroll Garner records Concert By The Sea with bassist Eddie Calhoun and drummer Denzil Best, 1955.
- Saxophonist Johnny Dankworth born 1927 in London, England.
- Duke Ellington records “Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue,” 1937.
- Saxophonist Steve Coleman born 1956 in Chicago, IL.
- Jelly Roll Morton records “Dead Man Blues,” 1926.
- Drummer Sunny Murray born 1937 in Idabel, OK.
- Bassist Slam Stewart born 1914 in Englewood, NJ.
- Guitarist Wes Montgomery records Unit 7 with pianist Wynton Kelly, bassist Paul Chambers, and drummer Jimmy Cobb, 1965.
- Trombonist Roswell Rudd records “Broad Strokes” with vocalist Sheila Jordan, 1999.
- Vocalist Marlena Shaw born 1942 in New Rochelle, NY.
Source: Smithsonian Jazz