- Pianist Horace Silver born 1928 in Norwalk, CT.
- Tenor saxophonist Clifford Jordan born 1931 in Chicago, IL.
- Saxophonist John Coltrane records “First Meditations For Quartet,” 1965.
- Drummer Roy Brooks born 1938 in Detroit, MI.
- Pianist/musicologist James Dapogny born 1940 in Berwyn, IL.
- Baritone saxophonist Serge Chaloff records “The Fable of Mabel” with pianist Richard Twardzik, 1954.
- Miles Davis Nonet opened at Royal Roost 1948.
- Saxophonist/educator Dave Liebman born 1946 in New York, NY.
- Composer/arranger Gerald Wilson born 1918 in Shelby, MS.
- Count Basie’s Kansas City Seven records “Lester Leaps In” 1939, featuring tenor saxophonist Lester Young.
- Duke Ellington records “In a Mellotone” 1940.
- Trombonist Albert Mangelsdorff born 1928 in Frankfurt, Germany.
- Cornetist Buddy Bolden born 1877 in New Orleans, LA.
- Clarinetist Sidney Bechet records “Blues In Thirds” with pianist Earl Hines and drummer Baby Dodds, 1940.
- Saxophonist/musicologist Andrew White born 1942 in Washington, DC.
- Trumpeter Joe Newman born 1922 in New Orleans, LA.
- Tenor saxophonist Sonny Rollins born 1929 in New York, NY.
- Bennie Moten’s band records South, 1928.
- Cornetist’s Bix Beiderbecke’s last session as leader 1930
- Pianist Elmer Schoebel born 1896 in East St. Louis, Illinois.
- Bassist Wilbur Ware born 1923 in Chicago, IL.
Source: Smithsonian Jazz