- Arranger Bill Challis born 1904 in Wilkes Barre, PA.
- Vocalist Billy Eckstine born 1914 in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Duke Ellington records At Newport, 1956 with the extended version of “Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue.”
- Trumpeter Dizzy Gillespie records “Things to Come,” 1946.
- Saxophonist Frank Wright born 1935 in Grenada, MS.
- Trumpeter Miles Davis records Blue Moods, with bassist Charles Mingus and drummer Elvin Jones, 1955.
- Trumpeter Cootie Williams born 1910 in Mobile, AL.
- Vocalist Ivie Anderson born 1905 in Gilroy, CA.
- Pianist/arranger/trumpeter Dick Cary born 1916 in Hartford, CT.
- Tenor saxophonist John Coltrane records The Stardust Session, with flugelhornist Wilbur Harden, 1958.
- McKinney’s Cotton Pickers record their first session, including “Crying and Sighing,” 1928.
- Blues singer Blind Lemon Jefferson born 1897 in Couchman, TX.
- Tenor saxophonist Paul Gonsalves born 1920 in Boston, MA.
- Trumpeter Conte Candoli born 1927 in Mishawaka, IN.
- Drummer Roy Haynes records Vistalite with tenor sxophonist Joe Henderson, 1976.
- Tenor saxophonist Albert Ayler born 1936 in Cleveland, OH.
- Art Tatum records “Willow Weep for Me,” 1949.
- Benny Goodman records “Body and Soul,” 1935.
- J.J. Johnson records Tangence, an orchestral album with Robert Farnon in London, 1994
- Drummer Alan Dawson born 1929 in Marietta, PA.
- Pianist Billy Kyle born 1914 in Philadelphia, PA.
Source: Smithsonian Jazz