- Saxophonist Harry Carney born 1910 in Boston, MA.
- Trumpeter/bandleader Cootie Williams is the first to record a Thelonious Monk composition, "Epistrophy," 1942.
- Saxophonist John Laporta born 1920 in Philadelphia, PA.
- Trumpeter Booker Little born 1938 in Memphis, TN.
- Larry Coryell born 1943 in Galveston, TX.
- Tenor saxophonist Coleman Hawkins, pianist Bud Powell, bassist Oscar Pettiford and drummer Kenny Clarke record All The Things You Are in Essen, Germany 1960.
- Composer/arranger Bill Finegan born 1917 in Newark, NJ.
- Bassist Scott LaFaro born 1936 in Newark, NJ.
- Alto saxophonist Charlie Parker rehearses with Gene Roland’s Big Band, 1950. It is issued as The Band That Never Was.
- Bassist Gene Ramey born 1913 in Austin, TX.
- Pianist Benny Green born 1963 in New York, NY.
- Trumpeter Booker Little records Out Front with Max Roach and Eric Dolphy in 1961.
- Saxophonist Stanley Turrentine born 1934 in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Drummer Stan Levey born 1925 in Philadelphia, PA.
- Vibraphonist Lionel Hampton records "Sweethearts on Parade" featuring tenor saxophonist Chu Berry, 1939.
- Saxophonist/composer Gerry Mulligan born 1927 in New York, NY.
- Saxophonist Charlie Rouse born 1924 in Washington, DC.
- Cornetist King Oliver’s Creole Jazz Band records "Dippermouth Blues" 1923.
- Vocalist Billie Holiday born 1915 in Philadelphia, PA.
- Trumpeter Freddie Hubbard born 1938 in Indianapolis, IN.
- Conga player/bandleader Mongo Santamaria born 1922 in Havana, Cuba.
Source: Smithsonian Jazz